The Cross of Nation
Places to Visit
While celebrating the 10th anniversary of National Independence in 1928 the cross was erected in the centre of the town. In 1950 some local women (of Betygala), were doing the laundry and spotted a floating cross in the river Dubysa. It turned out that the Soviets knocked it down and threw it into the river. The cross was pulled out of the water and hidden in the cellars of the church. After regaining the independence, a copy was made by A. Ramanauskas and J. Grabauskas. The title “The Cross of Nation” is now used by the locals.