The Daugirdai Chapel
Places to Visit
The cemetery of Ariogala lies on a steep slope of the river Dubysa. The chapel was built here in 1850 by Stasys Daugirdas, the owner of the Plembergas manor. Here rest the members of the Daugirdai family. One of them is Tadas Daugirdas (1852 – 1919) – an archaeologist, ethnographer, painter, writer and the founder of the Kaunas city museum. It is believed that T. Daugirdas was the person who convinced J. Basanavičius to use the colour yellow in the flag of Lithuania.