The Chapel of Apparition
Places to Visit
The Chapel of Apparition was designed by A. Vivulskis on the occasion of the 300th anniversary of the Apparition of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The foundation stone was consecrated by Jonas Mačiulis-Maironis in 1912. The Apparition of Blessed Virgin Mary in Šiluva took place in 1608. A wooden chapel stood in the place for a long time. The construction was finally completed in 1924. Inside on the Stone of the Apparition the altar was built with the sculpture of the Virgin Mary above. The entrance is guarded by two angels, as it was the vision of the architect A. Vivulskis. The idea was fulfilled in 1999. One of the sculptures was made by R. Antinis and the second one by his son R. Antinis Jr.